Larsen's Beach Confrontation

SOURCE: Richard Spacer (rspacer@yahoo.com)
SUBHEAD: The Larsen’s Beach experience is one that attracts tourist revenue to Kauai. It needs to be protected for future generations.

 [Source's note: The Garden Island never ran this letter from visiting beachgoer Dennis Bosio describing his encounter with Bruce Laymon at Larsen's Beach.]

By Dennis Bosio on 6 March 2010 in Island Breath -
(http://islandbreath.blogspot.com/2010/05/larsons-beach-confrontation.html)

 
Image above: Bruce Laymon confronts tourist on commonly used path to Larsen's Beach on 3/4/10. Photo by Dennis Bosio. From (http://www.4shared.com/dir/34748348/bf767e99/sharing.html).

 Below you will find an email I wrote to a friend on Saturday March 6, 2010 following an encounter with Bruce Laymon. I have waited this long to make this account public because at the time my wife and I had 3 weeks remaining of vacation, we were renting near the Larsens Beach road, we walked Koolau road and Larsen’s Beach access road daily and were afraid we would run into either Bruce Laymon or one of his hired hands again.

He was very threatening. Letter to the Editor of The Garden Island: This morning about 9:30am and was on the lateral trail where the trail becomes a road. A man who identified himself as Bruce Laymon got out of a dump truck and confronted me. He said:
 "You are on private property and you know it, I am going to take your picture and the next time we see you on our property we will have you arrested". 
 He was agitated, threatening and confrontational. He did not take my picture at this time but did yell at some workers to remember me if I came back on their property.

He accused me of being part of the group vandalizing his equipment and taking pictures and stirring up trouble. I had no idea about the damage to the equipment until later in the afternoon when I got the newspaper and saw today’s story. I did not respond aggressively but did ask him several times if he really was "Bruce Laymon".

I had no idea who he was, other than by his word. I then got off the lateral trail and went down on the beach and walked to the picnic table on the north end. A little while later I walked back down south on the beach, a hundred yards or so, and was talking to two guys I see there a lot. We were on the sand not too far from the grass line.

The guy, who had said he was Bruce Laymon, came down on to the sand and started yelling at me again. He took my picture with a disposable camera and asked me for my name. When I smiled for the picture he said: "You better watch out! You think this is funny?" He was yelling about how he was going to have 50 Hawaiians down here next week and they were going to take back the beach.

He went with:
"You watch and see, we will run you haoli's out of here. That's all you fucking haoli's do is come down here, get naked, and leave all kinds of shit back here in woods." 
He also yelled about how his entire crew was family and that's why they were doing this work, to reclaim the beach for their family and the Hawaiians. I tried to calm him down and talk to him but he was having none of that.

He kept accusing me of stirring up trouble. He also said that I was spreading lies through the newspaper. When I was confronted I was on a trail that I have used hundreds of times over the past seven years.

There was a large truck, several pickups, guys with chain saws, and other large machinery clearing right up to the beach sand. I did not think that was right. I had taken pictures of the clearing work on previous days. I shared them with local residents, and one of my pictures was in The Garden Island newspaper.

I don’t know how they got it. My wife and I are 62 year old retirees and have been coming to Kauai, for a month or two, each winter. We have real reservations about spending our vacation dollars on Kauai in the future. Just the lodging and rental car taxes for our two month’s on island this year were over $1,300.

Larsen’s Beach is a unique natural treasure and the Larsen’s Beach experience is one that attracts a great deal of tourist revenue to Kauai. I hope it is protected for future generations. Where's the Aloha?

 
Image above: Bruce Laymon talking to beachgoers at Larsen's Beach about trespassing on 3/4/10. 

  .

1 comment :

Eric Sakazaki said...

Aloha as a resident of Kauai and lover of the ocean and frequent visitor of Larson's beach. Isn't Nudity against the law on our beautiful beaches? Why is this law not enforced? There are kids and families that use this beach! People have the nerve to expose them selves on a public beach and trash private property and State Beaches. Littering is against the law also, isn't it? Tourist need to be educated to respect one's property.Maybe where they live they don't mind nudes and others throwing trash in their yard. Don't take advantage of our Aloha and respect one's property! I live in Hanamaulu and people have the nerve to climb over my fence to take a short cut to 7-11.....even locals have no respect! I got sick and tired of telling people to don't climb my fence! It's a liability issue these days. If they get hurt on my property; can they sue me? No more sign; maybe gotta put one? Makes me sick to see locals trashing our beaches as well as tourist! If you show respect then we show you the Aloha; otherwise; Mahalo for comming to Kauai and go home!!!!!Tourist drown at our beaches and they want to sue the State for not putting up sign's!!!! Stupid is what stupid does! "Respect the Aina(Land) and Ocean and other's Property....Common sense is not so common sometimes! Mahalo w/Aloha :)

Post a Comment