2009 New Years Resolution

SUBHEAD: My plan is to follow the bicyclist.

 By Brad Parsons on 2 January 2009 in Aloha Analytics -  
(http://alohaanalytics.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-year.html)

  
Image above: "Cat Card" #4729 from publisher Alfred Mainzer Inc, Long Island City, New York, From (http://mainzercats.com/).

About a decade ago I visited Kauai for the first time for me. The one key thing I remember from that visit was riding in a van through Hanalei Valley, looking out the window at a pedestrian and thinking to myself "this has got to be the one most likely place in the world, that I have been, where the more logical thing to be doing would be to be a pedestrian or bicyclist rather than being in the car that I am currently in."

That image of Kauai's Northshore stuck with me for more than a decade. Now I am here and I am still looking out the window at pedestrians and bicyclists.

It's hard to change, I mean really change. Hopefully someday I will be forced to become a pedestrian or bicyclist on Kauai's Northshore. Today, I was driving from Kilauea toward Hanalei and I saw a regular bicyclist coming from the opposite direction. As far as I can tell, there are somewhere between 5 to 10 regular bicyclists who actually use bikes to commute on the Kauai Northshore.

I think part of the reason for that is many of the shoulders on Kauai are narrow and dangerous for the bicyclists. Because of my training, I watch people's posture, and so I noticed again that this person has near perfect posture even while riding a bike, except that her head was turned a little bit toward the side, usually an indication of a past fall or of concentration on something other than the task at hand. Anyway, this person riding her bike on the Northshore of Kauai, I know her; in fact, she'll probably read this post.

But, the thought on my mind, will I ever break away from dependence on the automobile and become like my observation of a decade ago in Hanalei Valley and of today in Kalihiwai Valley and actually become more of a pedestrian and bicyclist like my admirable friend has made a conscious effort to do? I think this is one of the big questions of the coming decades for Americans.

I like to think that I can do it, but maybe even I will have to be forced into it by the events. Maybe this will be my New Year's Resolution, to make some progress this year on becoming a regular pedestrian and bicyclist.

As for my friend, she and her mom are a great example to the community. I worry about her on her bike, and I hope that other motorists are watchful and recognize who she is and that she is a very special person who chooses to commute on her bike rather than in a car. On related matters, David Ward of Kauai independently sent to me the following link today including on the psychology of Peak Oil. Also, Lance Armstrong is riding on the shoulders of North Kohala and the Kona Coast as he reports here.

Watch out for him, he's a special person, too. On related matters, David Ward of Kauai independently sent to me the following link today including on the psychology of Peak Oil. Also, Lance Armstrong is riding on the shoulders of North Kohala and the Kona Coast as he reports here. Watch out for him, he's a special person, too.


3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Aloha. You will be glad to know that there is a group of Kauai residents committed to creating more cycling-walking opportunities on Kauai's North Shore! the North Shore Trails Committee of Kauai Path Inc. is busy working on obtainijng funding to do a conceptual alternative transportation plan for the miles between Anahola and Haena, with special emphasis on linking Princeville and Hanalei. Please see www.kauaipath.org and stay tuned as we learn more about the development of North Shore pathways. Imua!! Jo Manea

Anonymous said...

Ooh! This is good Jo! I think a key problem is how narrow and dangerous to bikes and pedestrians going down the hill from Priceville to Hanalei is. Curious what the solution might be...maybe a bike bridge over the river? We also need wider shoulders on the highways. Brad

Anonymous said...

Please keep me informed of the project as we would like to connect with bicyclist for the upcoming Paradise Ride Kauai. This is an issue all over Kauai and not just No. Shore having now planned 2 of these PRKs and I am working on this year's route now. My route coordinator will begin working on this ASAP and we are eager to hear what Kauai Path is working on or has come up with. Mahalo.

Faith Harding
Ride Director
Paradise Ride Kauai

Faith@malama-pono.org

Post a Comment