Compiled by Brad Parsons on 21 March 2010 in Island Breath -
Image above: The most famous of all whisleblowers, Daniel Ellsberg, who released the "Pentagon Papers" has a press conference outside Los Angeles Federal Courthouse in 1973. From (http://www.winnipegfilmgroup.com/cinematheque/the_most_dangerous_man_in_america_daniel_ellsberg_and_the_pentagon_papers.aspx)
Recently released documents by http://Wikileaks.org:
- 15. Mar. 2010: U.S. Intelligence planned to destroy WikiLeaks, 18 Mar 2008
- This document is a classifed (SECRET/NOFORN) 32 page U.S. counterintelligence investigation into WikiLeaks.
- 24. Feb. 2010: Cryptome.org takedown: Microsoft Global Criminal Compliance Handbook, 24 Feb 2010
- Cryptome.org is a venerable New York based anti-secrecy site that has been publishing since 1999. On Feb 24, 2010, the site was forcably taken down following its publication Microsoft's "Global Criminal Compliance Handbook", a confidential 22 page booklet designed for police and intelligence services. The guide provides a "menu" of information Microsoft collects on the users of its online services.
- 17. Mar. 2010: Update to over 40 billion euro in 28167 claims made aganst the Kaupthing Bank, 3 Mar 2010
- This document contains an update to a list of 28167 claims, totaling over 40 billion euro, lodged against the failed Icelandic bank Kaupthing Bank hf. The document is significant because it reveals billions in cash, bonds and other property held with Kaupthing by a vast number of investors and asset hiders, including Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse, Morgan Stanley, Exista, Barclays, Commerzbank AG, etc.
- 26. Feb. 2010: Icelandic Icesave offer to UK-NL, 25 Feb 2010
- Confidential Feb 25 offer (conveyed around 10AM, GMT) from the Icelandic Icesave negotiation team to their British and Dutch counterparts. Iceland agreed to cover all monies associated with the UK-NL Icesave payouts, but forcefully objects to a 2.75% "profiteering" fee demanded by UK-NL over and above base interest rates.
- 26. Feb. 2010: Final UK-NL offer to the government of Iceland, 19 Feb 2010
- Confidential offer from the UK, Dutch Icesave negotiation teams to their Icelandic counterparts. Iceland is to cover all monies associated with the UK/NL Icesave payouts, all currency and recovery risks, base interest as well as an effective 2.75% additional fee.
- 18. Feb 2010: Classified cable from US Embassy Reykjavik on Icesave dated 13 Jan 2010
- This document, released by WikiLeaks on February 18th 2010 at 19:00 UTC, describes meetings between embassy chief Sam Watson (CDA) and members of the Icelandic government together with British Ambassador Ian Whiting.
Message from Wikileaks:
We have received hundreds of thousands of pages from corrupt banks, the US detainee system, the Iraq war, China, the UN and many others that we do not currently have the resources to release to a world audience. You can change that and by doing so, change the world. Even $10 will pay to put one of these reports into another ten thousand hands and $1000, a million.
We have raised just over $360,000 for this year (our yearly budget is around $600,000.).
The Sunshine Press (WikiLeaks) is an non-profit organization funded by human rights campaigners, investigative journalists, technologists and the general public.
List of some WikiLeaks supporters:
* Reporters Committee for the Freedom of the Press (RCFP)
* The American Society of Newspaper Editors (ASNE)
* The Associated Press - world wide news agency, based in New York
* Citizen Media Law Project - Harvard university
* The E.W Scripps Company - newspapers, TV, cable TV etc.
* Gannett Co. Inc - the largest publisher of newspapers in the USA, including USA Today
* The Hearst Corporation - media conglomerate which publishes the San Francisco Chronicle
* The Los Angeles Times
* National Newspaper Association (NNA) * Newspaper Association of America (NAA)
* The Radio-Television News Directors Association (RTNDA)
* The Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ)
* Public Citizen - founded by Ralph Nader together with the California First Amendment Coalition
* The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
* The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
* The Project on Government Oversight (POGO)
* Jordan McCorkle, the University of Texas .